Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Oct 2001 11:16:11 -0700

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:<bkFv7.660$hR5.18151526_at_radon.golden.net>...
> They have provided some, but entirely inadequate, physical independence. For
> instance, several SQL products allow data clustering, and all SQL products
> allow some rudimentary indexing. I am not aware of any SQL product that
> allows one to break up a base table vertically into multiple storage areas,

What are advantages of breaking up table vertically?

Alternatively, you can split the table into 2 one-to-one related tables, and rename the old table into a view. As this would be "key preserving view" (Oracle terminology) it would be updatable.

> and precious few allow one to break up a table horizontally for storage. I
> am not aware of any SQL product that will index partial aggregates. I am not

What is indexing on partial aggregates? If one wants to speed up a query like this:

select deptno, sum(sal) from emp group by dept

the standard technique is to create a materialized view and put an index on aggregate column.

> aware of any SQL product that uses physical pointers or pointer pools among
> tables to improve joins; although, surely there must be at least one.

What are pointer pools? Received on Mon Oct 08 2001 - 20:16:11 CEST

Original text of this message