Re: The Myth of relational algebra (was Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?)

From: Joseph Bacanskas <jbacanskas_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 17:05:32 GMT

Hi Vadim:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Code from a system in GemStone/S a Smalltalk OODBMS. This code conforms closely to an in production object model

a Party has a collection of roles. The roles we need are the employeeRole and managerRole. Suffice it to say we have an EmployeeCollection. The EmployeeCollection implements the message managers, the manager implements directReports and the employeeRole implements salary. Employees and managers are Party objects with the appropriate Role object(s).

^EmployeeCollection soleInstance managers select: [ :eachManager |

        (eachManager directReports
                inject: 0 into: [:sum :eachEmployee |
                        eachEmployee employeeRole salary + sum])
                                > eachManager employeeRole salary]

A fairly typical OODBMS solution to the problem using a Smalltalk OODBMS.

Cheers!

--
Thanks!!
Joseph Bacanskas [|]