Re: script to capture data from a client

From: Todd Gillespie <toddg_at_linux128.ma.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 01:37:37 +0000 (UTC)

Srikanth <sriky_at_epsilonium.com> wrote:
: I have a question for this group. I want to know wht kind of
: script or component cane be used to capture data from the clients
: website.

: Scenario: Compay X has many customers (other companies) and X wants
: to capture data posted to on their clint websites (th form data script
: can be in any language ASP, JSP, CGI-Perl), bt if somebody posts data
: , X wants to implement a script on clinets websites which will
: automatically capture the data and send it to X database. The Question
: we have is mind is , the clients websites can be hosted on different
: servers, UNIX, NT, Weblogic . So we should be abe to find a common
: solution. i will appreciate any suggestions at all. Thanks,

You're thinking about this the wrong way. Don't try to find one magical component that sits between widely disparate databases, webservers, and application environments and captures data from all of them. There is none. Think about this from a data perspective. Define a DTD for transfer to XML, and define a protocol for operation of capture functionality. Then build several components that fit into different clients' architectures, but all operate according to the protocol. Or let clients write them, again according to protocol.

Unless you have authority over their architecture, or a backdoor to their webservers, I just don't see any other way. Received on Fri Aug 24 2001 - 03:37:37 CEST

Original text of this message