Re: Clean Object Class Design -- Circle/Ellipse

From: Universe <universe_at_saltmine.radix.net>
Date: 18 Aug 2001 12:09:01 GMT

In comp.object Martijn Meijering <mmeijeri_at_xs4all.nl> wrote:
> [posted and mailed]
>
> bbadour_at_golden.net (Bob Badour) wrote in
> <jZkf7.39$Pn.11203713_at_radon.golden.net>:
>
> [martijn] Don't get me wrong, I didn't say Date doesn't understand types or
> OO.
>
> [bob] Yes, that is exactly what you stated! ...
>
> [marc] You have demonstrated that you confused Martijn with me.
>
> [bob] While you did not state it directly, you clearly espoused the
> statement. You attempted to offer proof of the statement, and you denied
> that the statement is extraordinary.
>
> (I'm assuming you're talking to me now, not to Marc.) The original thread
> has disappeared from my newsreader, so I can't check the details, but I
> remember someone claiming Date doesn't understand types or OO.
>
> Discussions of the circle/ellipse type have been coming up every couple of
> months for years. One of the things that strike me about the discussions is
> that people aren't very precise about what they mean by type. You often see
> people offering the definition X is a subtype of Y if every instance of X
> IS-A instance of Y. That's not terribly precise, unless they tell us what
> the meaning of IS is ;-)
>
> The intuitive meaning many people seem to be using for subtype is simply
> subset. My point is that that is only one (the simplest) of many possible
> definitions. Subtype isn't a natural phenomenon, it's a matter of
> definition.

Subtype IS INDEED found in natural phenomena - at least in my world. it's just a matter of specifying for a given CONTEXT (DOMAIN) what is and what isn't a subtype.

Elliott

 What I'm interested in is which definition is the most useful,

--
http://www.radix.net/~universe      ~*~ Enjoy! ~*~
  Hail OO Modelling * Hail the Wireless Web * _at_Elliott 2001