Re: New to Databases-books on databases

From: serafim <serafim_at_nada.kth.se>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:41:38 +0200

Vadim Tropashko wrote:

> Chris Date. All others are somewhat complementary to his "black and white"
> picture. Even reviewers of his textbook on amazon are in two very distinctive
> camps;-)
>
> In article <s7yO6.23467$iC1.814365_at_news6.giganews.com>, Joe Johnson says...
> >
> >I'm new to databases and am looking for a good book on database concepts,
> >principles, theory, etc.

I would use either Silberschatz or Elmasri. They are as complete as Date. Date on the
other hand has the disadvantage of using textual syntax for mathematical issues,
making it somewhat difficult for the beginner to distinguish between the different
query languages and mathematical notation (different mathematical notations).

I used Date in courses earlier but have switched to Every year I hesitate
between continuing with Elmasri or switch to Silberschatz. I read the Date book
every time that there is a new version, but I have never considered switching
back to Date. All new versions suffer from the same disadvantage - poor mathematical presentation.

/Serafim Dahl Received on Mon Jul 30 2001 - 09:41:38 CEST

Original text of this message