Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 12:38:45 +0200

bok wrote:
> > You could also define member attributes on all the involved classes for
> > bidirectional links. An additional link factory class might maintain
 these
> > links automatically.
>
> You might have to do something like that if the "object manager" or DBMS
> didn't maintain the relationship for you.

I guess we are going a different way than JADE.

We simply try to support all the concepts that the Java language brings along, staying away from adding additional concepts where they are not absolutely necessary.

I agree that adding an attribute type that takes care of bidirectional links automatically is elegant, but it is also vendor-specific. You also are bound to loose type-safety, I assume?.

> > What I meant was a little different:
> > Given the commonly used construct "parent.child", is there a language
 that
> > allows getting the parent from the child?
>
> I must be missing something here. What's wrong with child.parent?

I don't think it is supported by many programming languages.

Kind regards,
Carl

---
Carl Rosenberger