Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: Steve Wart <swart_at_deadspam.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:49:41 GMT

"Lee Fesperman" <firstsql_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:3B61284C.1C50_at_ix.netcom.com...
> Bill Cole wrote:

> > My point being that the data in a Database is often used by *multiple*
> > programs written in a variety of programming languages. Consequently
> > the context of "data" in a shared repository (Database) has a
> > different (and larger) set of design factors than "data" encapsulated
> > in a single application object instance (program).
>
> Agreed. I've said it before. The modeling problems of a 'shared' database
 are quite
> large, and I don't see that OO techniques have the power to be used in
 organizing such a
> database.

But the problem with *any* model of the world is that it is purely subjective. Whether it is a departmental model, an enterprise model or an industry model, the shortcomings will be proportional to the ambition of the team.

Cultural bias is an especially big problem with globalization and mergers and the like. One of the biggest reasons relational databases are so popular is that SQL provides a basis to compare and consolidate different databases.

If ODBMS technology can make this process easier (cause it ain't a walk in the park with SQL) then it can be embraced in the enterprise. I think a great product would be one that lets you manage the data models of several SQL databases and generate queries to help consolidate the models. I'm sure there's stuff out there. But if someone were to build something with a nice clean UI and flexible technology, people would buy it. Even in a recession ;-)

--
Steve (steve at wart dot ca ICQ 50919689)