Re: Unknown SQL

From: Joe Cosby <joecosby_at_SPAMBLOCKmindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 23:15:31 GMT

"Carl Rosenberger" <carl_at_db4o.com> hunched over a computer, typing feverishly;
thunder crashed, "Carl Rosenberger" <carl_at_db4o.com> laughed madly, then wrote:

>Yes that is true, but wouldn't it be nice if there would be a standard that
>defines how to do these tasks? Shouldn't it be part of something? SQL or a
>standard API?

Or maybe just less infighting between vendors or something.

Really overall I think a lot of ill for developers and end users alike comes about with vendors trying to produce the Cool End Of The World Feature to end all Cool End Of The World Feautures and breeding incompatibility and inconsistency.

Web browsers would be the obvious example.

>The approach we follow is a little different.
>In contrast to SQL our S.O.D.A. query interface has a "viewport".
>"WHERE attribute.member = 'X' OR attribute = null" will always automatically
>be an "outer join".

... well the interface sounds nice overall, but seriously, are you sure you want an outer join to be the default?

I guess it's up to you. If that works with your beta testers, then it's probabaly a good idea.

***

Overall though I don't mean to sound like I'm criticizing your product. I just think that the unclear distinction between theory and implementation can lead to a misunderstanding about what is 'needed' in a better product.

I might look at your system for some online projects, especially where out-of-the-box java protocols could give me some advantage.

Maybe a visual interface for constructing servlet communications would be a good feature.

There isn't a free low-end version, is there?

--
Joe Cosby
http://joecosby.home.mindspring.com

The Ends Justify the Means:  Philosophical Concepts That Make
Hot Coffeehouse Chicks Want to Jump You
- Philosophy for Dummies, chapter 4

Sig by Kookie Jar 5.98d http://go.to/generalfrenetics/