Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:33:47 GMT

"Carl Rosenberger" <carl_at_db4o.com> wrote
> This works perfectly for embedding our database into applications or
 Tomcat
> webapps.

For a long time now, I have been thinking of adding my voice to those who criticize Bob Badour for the tone (not the content) of his diatribes. Then I read the above, and decided that perhaps you were asking for it.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "embedding our database into applications". The only way I can interpret it is to mean PRECISELY what the inventors of database systems in the 1970s were trying to get away from: the idea that all the data definitions were buried somewhere in source code, and the only way to manage data definitions was to get involved in the details of source code maintenance.

I don't mean to put words in your mouth. If the above is NOT what you mean by "embedding", then I'm eager to learn what the real meaning is. But if I've interpreted your comments correctly, then there will never be a meeting of the minds between yourself and those who believe that databases were an advancement of the state of the art.

--
Regards,
    David Cressey