Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 21 Jul 2001 23:57:13 -0500

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, cdsmith_at_twu.net wrote:

> The database is clearly not an "afterthought" since the system
> wouldn't work without it, but it doesn't much affect the design
> of the classes I use to encapsulate my data. Instead, it
> provides a way to store that data with efficient insertion,
> deletion, and in-place updates; to achieve transactional
> integrity when using that data; and to retrieve relevant data
> sets. None of these tasks relate to the class model in the
> slightest.

But a good data modeler will be involved in the object design and provide insight to how the data model can better support the OO design and many times the OO design will change because the relational side has taken a look.

In trying to model the data, relationships that weren't uncovered in the "pure" OO design are uncovered by the data modeler. A database needs to be modeled, no matter how good the OO modeler thinks they are.

--
Galen Boyer
It seems to me, I remember every single thing I know.