Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: Mikito Harakiri <nospam_at_newsranger.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:33:53 GMT

In article <9i4tku$7v2$0_at_dosa.alt.net>, Chris Smith says...

>2. Run some kind of database (doesn't really matter what kind, so long as
>you can manage to store objects in it somehow), and write an object oriented
>class library to control access to it. Put the object-oriented class
>library on a server running some middleware communication protocol and
>access it through COM, CORBA, RMI, etc.
>
>I find that a very large part of software development these days is done in
>the second model. In that model, you choose a database based on the
>features it provides for performance and the ease of creating a data model
>to represent an existing data model expressed as a system of classes. If an
>OODB can do that, then it can do that.
>
>Furthermore, it's simple to make a transition, in the second case, from
>using a database privately within one application, toward storing the data
>centrally for several applications. All that needs to happen is for the
>data access classes to be relocated to a different, remote server.

I see that in my organization:-( Most of the developers see relational database as some king of physical storage. They write multiple APIs to access the data (sometimes not only for modification, but for reading the data as well!). Some other groups write APIs upon those APIs and naively think that they raize the application abstraction level! Where formerly I was able to quickly figure out the functionality from data model, I'm now forced to debug their spagetti code in order to understand how their dumb API works.

I wish somebody like Bob would have an authority there. Received on Sun Jul 22 2001 - 01:33:53 CEST

Original text of this message