Re: XML databases [ was: S.O.D.A. database Query API - call for comments ]

From: Philip Lijnzaad <lijnzaad_at_ebi.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:24:46 GMT

On Mon, 21 May 2001 14:37:07 +0200,
"Carl" == Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com> wrote:

Carl> Philip Lijnzaad wrote:
Carl> - allow queries for points of interest without parsing the entire
Carl> document

>> Impossible if the entire document is a complex interconnected graph.

Carl> No, not impossible, if indices are included where needed.

but then you'd have to have standard for indices as well, and still you can't query complex things untill you have read all of the index(es).

Carl> - Long, Double = 8 bytes
Carl> - Unicode would be possible
Carl> - no tags

>> Exactly all of this and more is now already offered by CORBA's IIOP and
 Carl> CDR
>> :-)

Carl> I have been researching CDR a year ago and I found it quite amusing.

as in: 'useless' ?

Carl> An unofficial remainder of a document is still left over here: Carl> http://www.db4o.com/db4o/yap.html#Why Some links might be dead.

I couldn't make much of this. Have you guys investigated ASN.1 ?

Carl> CDR includes the necessity to specify the byte order over-and-over again Carl> with every little bit of data.

one byte per request, I believe. The reason not to standardize the endianness is so you don't have to do byte-swapping if the machines on either end already have the same (I think this is a bit silly, though, with i/o practically always being network-bound). Cheers,

                                                                      Philip
--
If you have a procedure with 10 parameters, you probably missed some. (Kraulis)
Philip Lijnzaad, lijnzaad_at_ebi.ac.uk \ European Bioinformatics Institute,rm A2-08