Re: database design

From: Larry Linson <larry.linson_at_ntpcug.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:27:15 GMT

Forget the "query over a large number of tables" and concentrate on revising the database design. Your currently-planned design would be unmanageable. You may even need to find a qualified consultant to advise you on this to make sure you get the design right.

If you are saying that _each_ of the 10,000 records will have certain unique-to-the-individual-record fields, then I think you may have to create either a text field, or several text fields, or a related table. If you choose a related table, you can have one field that indicates what the data _is_ and a second containing the _value_.

On the other hand, as is probably more likely, you will have several different categories of part, each category having several category-specific fields.

Clarify a bit more and perhaps someone can provide other suggestions that may be more useful.