Re: Unknown SQL

From: akmal _at_ city <akmal_at_soi.city.ac.uk.nospam>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:27:59 GMT

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Bob Badour wrote:

Bob, Carl:

I hate to interrupt this on-going discussion between you (or maybe it is a battle of egos, neither of you will win IMHO, just as there have been Object vs. Relational wars in past times), but just a couple of comments:

> >[object-relational]
> >>
> >> I think the market has already announced to the world that Informix
 doesn't
> >> have a clue what their customers truly want and need.
> >
> >Market and good technology have very little to do with eachother.
>
> In general, I agree. In the case of Informix, I think their customers
> correctly identified a huge regression in the technology when they switched
> to a network model.
>

> >I am not saying that the Informix approach was good. I was just trying to
> >point out the object-relational lie of some other vendors.

I work for Informix, via 10 years in OODBs. Whilst I am no expert in Object-Relational (I've only seriously looked at it for about a year), I have found some of the capabilities, such as table hierarchies, do have practical benefits and customers are using them. IBM has paid US$1 Billion cash for the technology and the 100,000 customers. Some analysis from a respected source:

http://www.informix.com/informix/blue/idc_bulletin.htm

My 2 rupees worth.

Sleep well.

akmal Received on Sun Jul 22 2001 - 01:27:59 CEST

Original text of this message