Database Design

From: Yanick Hudon <yannik_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:31:35 GMT

Hi all,

        I would like to get an advice on design rules that i got to create an application.

        It's about golf tournaments.

        Here are the rules:

  1. I've got 4 contest: Longest drive men, Longest drive Women, Nearest hole men, nearest hole woman. Those contest are present in most of the tournaments, but not all.
  2. I've got 2 tournaments that are teams tournaments. I want to keep track of the golfer name on each team.
  3. Starting time tournaments: I've got many types, Shotgun, delayed times, ....

        Now here the way i defined:

            Tournaments Contest:                        Contests:
                TournamentID (fk)                              ContestID(pk)
                CourseID
ContestTitle
                ContestID
Description
                GolferID                                            Comments

            TeamsTournaments:                            Teams Details
                TournamentID (fk)                              TeamID (pk)
                CourseID                                           GolferID
                TeamID                                             TeamClass
                Score
Comments
                Comments

            Starting Times                                    Starting Types
                TournamentID (fk)
StartingTypeID(pk)
                CourseID                                           Title
                StartingTypeID                                   Description
                StartingID                                          Comments

         Starting Times
                StartingID (pk)
                GolferID
                StartingHole
                StartingTime

        Now the questions are:

        1. It seem to me that i have too much relations 1..M, doesn't it???
        2. Also, it seem again that i have a lot of redundancy for the
foreign keys, doesn't it???

    Thanks in advance! Received on Sun Jul 22 2001 - 01:31:35 CEST

Original text of this message