Re: Unknown SQL

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:28:08 GMT

>> >[object-relational]

>> >Market and good technology have very little to do with eachother.
>>
>> In general, I agree. In the case of Informix, I think their customers
>> correctly identified a huge regression in the technology when they
 switched
>> to a network model.
>>

>> >I am not saying that the Informix approach was good. I was just trying
>> >point out the object-relational lie of some other vendors.
>>

>I work for Informix, via 10 years in OODBs. Whilst I am no expert in
>Object-Relational (I've only seriously looked at it for about a year), I
>have found some of the capabilities, such as table hierarchies, do have
>practical benefits and customers are using them. IBM has paid US$1 Billion
>cash for the technology and the 100,000 customers. Some analysis from a
>respected source:
>
>http://www.informix.com/informix/blue/idc_bulletin.htm

", the company, under the leadership of Phil White, chose to spend millions promoting the ORDBMS concept in general and IUS in particular. As a consequence, the company's sales began to suffer by the end of 1996. "

Exactly my original point. The company bet on the wrong horse and the market punished them for it.

"This market was much more price sensitive, which drove RDBMS prices down. Informix was ill-prepared to deal with this level of competition. "

Again, they blew all their dough developing and marketing the wrong product.

Perna declared, "We are at war with Oracle, and in this war people are our most valuable asset."

Sounds to me like they paid $1Billion cash for all the bright minds from several database and data warehousing companies.

As for the Pick hierarchies: Yuck! I doubt that IBM will include those in DB2. They have some very bright people working on DB2.

Bob Received on Sun Jul 22 2001 - 01:28:08 CEST

Original text of this message