Re: Unknown SQL

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:29:11 GMT

 Sets,
 force
 the

>>>All of the above constructs are part of the Java programming language.
>>
>> So, your concept of a DBMS limits the user community to a very select
 group
>> of highly trained programmers?
>
>The advantage of Java is, that Java programmers need not to be "highly
 trained".
>It's not APL, it's even much easier than C(no memory management :-).

Believe me, the average business analyst with a commerce degree will find Java totally inaccessible -- even with training. The point is: a relational language that exposes only relations consisting of tuples of values is much easier to learn.

>>>We
>>>neither force the user to know about them, nor to use them.
>>
>> So, as long as your force all of your users to first learn Java, you are
 off
>> the hook?
>
>Not users, programmers.

In other words, the only users allowed are programmers, which takes me back to my earlier statement: Carl's concept of a DBMS limits the user community to a very select group of highly trained programmers.

>I agree that language-specificity, can be
>disadvantageous in some cases... but advantageous in others.

In a DBMS, the purpose of which is to satisfy the needs of all users and all applications, programming language specificity is always disadvantageous.

Cheers,
Bob Received on Sun Jul 22 2001 - 01:29:11 CEST

Original text of this message