Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:34:06 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:
> >Relational databases store flat data in tables.
>
> Relational databases store objects in table columns.

How many objects are typically stored to one column?

This approach has nothing to do with relational, nor does it treat objects in an intelligent way.

How does this mechanism

- restore relations between objects in different columns?
- behave on changes to classes?
- perform queries without having to instantiate objects?
- create indices for object members?

I also question the generalization "relational databases" in your statement. Some rare badly designed engines might store objects this way, because they have no other means to solve the object-relational mismatch. I would not recommend using this function.

Kind regards,
Carl

---
Carl Rosenberger