Re: Flamewar object databases vs. relational databases

From: Todd Gillespie <toddg_at_linux128.ma.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:30:34 GMT

In comp.databases Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com> wrote:
: Please allow me to use pronounced examples.

: Conversion of data to and from relational databases is a common issue for
: problems with:
: - dates
: - rounding floating point numbers
: - rounding currency
: - different character encodings
: - null values

Pardon me, sir, but you are simply nuts. I have had no problems with your set of example 'problems'. Dates, numbers, L10N, etc; these are all well solved in existing RDBMSes. Even if you were to provide me with some RDB that exhibited these problems, that would be solely an implementation detail, not a function of its theoretical foundation.

Rico has said everything that needs to be said in this thread. Someone enact Godwin's Law and just shut this thing off.

goodbye. Received on Sun Jul 22 2001 - 01:30:34 CEST

Original text of this message