Re: Flamewar object databases vs. relational databases

From: Todd Gillespie <toddg_at_linux128.ma.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:29:38 GMT

In comp.databases Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote:
: Carl will now pick nits with the guts of your code while not showing
: the guts of any of his.

Sometimes it is better to expose oneself to attack than to wait an eternity for your opponent to do the same.

I also hope that bringing some real code in here might raise the level of debate. For instance, I take real opposition to Carl's complaint that he spent 1:45 hours debugging his SQL statements, when 80% of his code deals with Java type-casting and awkward string handling. That he fails to wrap them in a transaction and then posts lots of nonsense on here about managing multiple user environments. That filling 4 tables at once to store one object (eg, person, customer, document, contract to store a contract) completely is stupid in any real application (wherein a row is written to contract referring to existing person & document rows (possibly person_contract_map as well)) as reflects a naive OO view of data.

As it stands, I see no end in sight with Carl point-blank refusing to read a relational textbook and an increasingly annoyed Bob descending into increasingly terse profanity. Received on Sun Jul 22 2001 - 01:29:38 CEST

Original text of this message