Re: Flamewar object databases vs. relational databases

From: Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:28:55 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:
> >What is your personal favorite method to generate foreign keys in a
> >multi-user environment?
>
> I don't generate foreign keys; the DBMS enforces them. The number of users
> is irrelevant.

Good!
Why don't you provide a practical example?

table person
  personID
  name

table employee
  employeeID
  personID
  department

You insert one row into person and employee. The foreign key in employee is to point on its person. What is your favourite way of doing this?

> >> Bullshit.
> >
> >Again:
> >I can prove it empirically.
>
> Again, you cannot prove this empirically without an infinite amount of
> effort.

Again:
Who is interested in the theory if our product is fast now?

> Theoretical advantages are practical advantages.

Bod Badour says that theoretically relational databases can insert objects as fast as object databases. Who cares, if there is no product to prove it?

[JDBC]
> >What database interface do you preferrably use, if you program with Java?
>
> I am a programmer. I'll use whatever interface is practical and available.

Great!
What would be your decision today, if you would need to take one?

Kind regards,
Carl

---
Carl Rosenberger