Re: Unknown SQL

From: Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:28:48 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:
> >All the relational equivalents that you posted are
> >- unnecessary extra concepts to learn
>
> Not true.

Usage of object databases is possible without knowing SQL or tables.

> >- unnecessary extra code
>
> Not true.

Please have a look at the example code further down this page. www.db4o.com/db4o/benchmarks.html
We store complex objects with one single line of code. The relational equivalent took 2 hours to write.

> >- bad for performance
>
> Not true.

Have a look at our benchmarks.
www.db4o.com/db4o/benchmarks.html
What is the reason for the drastic insert advantages? Our program is still young and will be subject to further optimization. The others vendors can't be that stupid. Our performance advantages result out of the points I have mentioned.

> I am still having trouble discerning. Is the untruth intentional or just
 the
> result of ignorance?

I do usually back up my arguments.
Your "Not true" is a little thin.

> >> It introduces much more than standardization problems. Aho et al.
 mention
> >> that one of the most effective optimization techniques is algorithmic
> >> replacement. How many object oriented languages or OODBMSs do you know
> >> capable of algorithmic replacement? Every SQL product on the market
 performs
> >> this extremely potent optimization technique. Even small-footprint
 products
> >> like Lee's!
> >
> >I am sorry but I don't understand what you mean with "algorithmic
> >replacement".
>
> It's simple enough as the name implies: replace one algorithm with
 another.
> For instance, replace a bubble-sort with a quick-sort. Or replace an
> order-n-cubed algorithm with an order-n algorithm.
>
> In their famous compiler book (the Dragon Book), Aho et al. mention it as
> one of the most effective optimizations and the one least likely for
> compilers to actually achieve. SQL databases the world over achieve this
> kind of optimization on a daily basis.
>
> Does your product support algorithmic replacement?

I am still not sure what you mean.

Reading the above I would understand that either - hints can be added to queries for evaluation or
- code may be added to the database engine core

Could you please post a practical example and usecase what a user of a relational database would do?

Kind regards,
Carl

---
Carl Rosenberger