Re: Unknown SQL

From: Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:28:34 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:
> >> So, you claim it is easier to force the user to know about Arrays,
 Sets,
> >> Bags, Collections, Iterators, Children, Parents etc. than it is to
 force
 the
> >> user to know about Relations, Tuples and Domains?
> >
> >All of the above constructs are part of the Java programming language.
>
> So, your concept of a DBMS limits the user community to a very select
 group
> of highly trained programmers?

An interesting rhetorical attempt. :-)
Should I post a website link, that uses our database as a backend?

> >We
> >neither force the user to know about them, nor to use them.
>

> So, as long as your force all of your users to first learn Java, you are
 off
> the hook?

Your argumentation is like:
"You need to understand C to work with your newsreader, since it is programmed in C."

If you develop something with relational databases, what will users get to see?
The database vendors SQL-console or your program?

> >If a programmer uses any of these JDK classes, we store them directly,
> >without any detours through relational mappers to tables, which would be
> >unsuitable.
>
> Of course such a wrapper would be unsuitable. Classes map to Domains and
 not
> to Tables. Duh!

What do Domains map to?
Relational databases map classes to tables, no matter how many unnecessary in-between layers you invent.

> >Can you program a parser with it, a text editor or a web-browser?
>
> Why on earth would anyone want to program a text editor with a DBMS? It is
> an inappropriate use of the tool. Can you program a text editor solely
 with
> your product? Or does one need to use a programming language, such as
 Java,
> as well?

I am only pointing out that one paradigm is given: The programming language.
Lets take Java as a starting point.
The programming language Java uses objects to represent data. Now I wan't to store some of them.
Ideally I do not want to worry about what happens to my inheritance hierarchies, arrays and hashtables. The more work the database engine does for me here, the more productive I can be.

Kind regards,
Carl

---
Carl Rosenberger