Re: Choosing a standalone, SQL queryable database.

From: Steve Long <steven.long_at_erols.maps_on.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:27:23 GMT

it seems to me from your description of the situation that "you are hosed!" if using a freeware database such as postgres or mySQL requires months and of paperwork and red-tape, then there is no solution other than to write your own simple database tool (which is not hard in Perl or Python or PHP).

what is puzzling about your scenario is you seem to believe you could put "in-house" code in place on the servers without delay, but to use something like postgres presents an issue. this does not "pass the smell test" as they say. something is not as it seems.

if you can put "in-house" code in place without delay or red-tape, download the source code for postgres or mySQL, make some "localizations" to the source, and then compile it on your target server (the compiler is also free and available in source code). you have then deployed "in-house" code and have solved your problem.

ultimately, it seems that whatever project this is for, said project is of very low priority to the decision makers or stakeholders who could eliminate the months of paperwork and red-tape if it were of sufficient importance and priority. if this is case, why should you worry about it if management is unwilling to move it along? note the issue in your next status report and make it management's problem.