Re: Database internals

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_usgs.gov>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:25:55 GMT

How a database works internally varies from vendor to vendor. After all, that's why some vendor's RDBMS software works better than other's. And how a database works internally can be a closely guarded secret. If your database product some task X really well, do you want your competition knowin how you accomplished this? But over time, some of the internal operations of a RDMBS leaks out.

HTH,
Brian

Darius Blaszijk wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> Does anybody know where to get more information on how a database works?? I
> don't mean SQL or a discription on relational databases. No, I mean
> information on how a database keeps track of the records it holds. How does
> it handle the various types and how is a typical API built up? Stuff like
> that.
> Is there such a site I could use to study the database concepts?
>
> Many thanks, Darius Blaszijk

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at
  USGS EROS Data Center