Re: S.O.D.A. database Query API - call for comments

From: Vadim Tropashko <nospam_at_newsranger.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 18:01:18 GMT

In article <9cspbt$tk9$07$1_at_news.t-online.com>, Carl Rosenberger says...

>> >JDBC and ODBC overhead adds to the unnecessary performance leak.
>>
>> I wouldn't care as long as it's a controlled leakage. By increasing amount
 of
>> data you'll get proportionally increased overhead -- this is never a
>bottleneck.
>
>Now this is totally dependant on the application. I do know applications
>where insert performance *is* a bottleneck since this is one part of the
>data process where real-time management is absolutely necessary. An
>affiliated company is storing SMS requests as they come, to name an example.

By creating indexes and materialized views relational databases are commonly willing to trade off data modification speed for better query performance.

>> >Object databases do store objects in one shot on one machine.
>>
>> Again, I would emphasise querying, not data modification. Data update
>> transaction is limited by user input, after all.
>
>???
>Engineering systems store data as machines generate them.
>How do you think the telemetric data in a racing car is stored?
>CERN needs to store megabytes of data in milliseconds.

True. I bet those are just simple flat records, however. Why bother about objects then? Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 20:01:18 CEST

Original text of this message