Re: Unknown SQL

From: Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 18:01:26 GMT

Todd Gillespie wrote:
> > > It's amazing, but SQL remains a terrific secret to about 90% of the
> > > developers out there, ...
> : interesting point. but why is that so? is there no need for SQL aware
> : coders? are they afraid of SQL's "complexity" - or let me rephrase
> : that: do they have problems with a way of thinking different from the
> : procedural view of programming languages? is it too difficult? are
> : there only bad tutorials? ...
>
> [...]
>
> In simplest terms, it's another case of people refusing to think in more
> than one fashion.

Yes, this is probably very true. Thinking in SQL compares to thinking in objects like eating with a spoon compares to eating with chopsticks.

Typically we do program with objects, though. Every additional "fashion" or flavour of thinking complicates our business.

Kind regards,
Carl

---
Carl Rosenberger