Re: S.O.D.A. database Query API - call for comments

From: Tobias Brox <tobiasb_at_suptra.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 18:00:55 GMT

In comp.databases Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com> wrote:
> Anyway:
> If I were to neglect triggers, stored procedures, constraints and other
> vendor-incompatible constructs that violate object business logic, I could
> respond:
> Relational databases are no more than the persistent storage of flat tables.

Right :-) It was very clear at my previous workplace, the only reason why we used databases was the support for transactions, concurrency control and also that the database was constructed to handle sudden shutdowns (i.e. power loss) gently.

If we were to speed up our applications and use less memory, we would rather use flat files and hash indicies.

--
Tobias Brox - freelancer for hire!
Programming, system administration, etc