Re: S.O.D.A. database Query API - call for comments

From: Lee Fesperman <firstsql_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 18:01:56 GMT

Carl Rosenberger wrote:

> Lee Fesperman wrote:
> > Storing a table row as an object messes up the query language. How about
 storing objects
> > as column values in table rows. Then you can keep a declarative query
 language and be
> > able to call methods on columns. Our ORDBMS (in beta) does this -
> > http://www.firstsql.com/firstsqlj/
>
> The approach sounds very interesting but it has nothing to do with SQL. You
> might need a name change for your engine in the future.

FirstSQL/J uses SQL. A class is just another database type for a column. The only change to SQL is to allow you call the methods of a column object and a 'new' operator for creating objects.

> Where do these objects store their members?

In the database.

> How would you constrain a query with members of these objects?

By calling methods in the top (column) object and using the return value (could be another object) in SQL expressions.

> Do you use Java serialization to store objects?

Yes, in columns.

--
Lee Fesperman, FFE Software, Inc. (http://www.firstsql.com)
* Check out Database Debunkings (http://www.firstsql.com/dbdebunk/)