Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: akmal _at_ city <akmal_at_soi.city.ac.uk.nospam>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 08:43:33 +0100

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Bob Badour wrote:

> Hi Akmal,
>
> You should warn him that those products that equate object classes with
> relations make a fundamental error. A relation is a set of sets of object
> instances.
>
> Regards,
> Bob

Bob,

I believe this is covered by Chris Date? I remember an article by him in Database Programming & Design quite a few years ago around the time he had published his Third Manifesto. On inheritance he seemed to think that it was a good idea, but couldn't decide about multiple or single.

I've also read stuff by Fabial Pascal. I think in one of his books he covered the issue of OO briefly in an Appendix ("Attack of the Object ..." something or other?)

Unfortunately, I haven't read anything by either gentleman in more recent years. I've tended to become more pragmatic in my outlook having seen some of the problems people face in using databases and OO. on OODBs, it is interesting, but I've had conversations with two groups recently that have been using them and are looking to move to alternatives. The surprise? Well, both wrote chapters for the first OODB book I helped put together :-o

akmal