Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: akmal _at_ city <akmal_at_soi.city.ac.uk.nospam>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 00:03:45 +0100

On 17 Jul 2001, Galen Boyer wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, bbadour_at_golden.net wrote:
>
> >>Object databases take care of
> >>inheritance hierarchies internally.
> >
> > As do relational databases.
>
> I don't understand how a relational database can represent
> inheritance. Most of the time, I can take an object model and
> logically map it to a relational model, because of, well, the
> relationships, but how do you model inheritance in a DB?
> --
> Galen Boyer
> It seems to me, I remember every single thing I know.

Inheritance hierarchies have been the subject of some discussion within ANSI/ISO I believe. A number of Object-Relational products support it. You might wish to have a look at something like PostgreSQL:

http://www.postgresql.com/
http://www.postgresql.org/

which is widely available.

akmal

--
[ --- OOPSLA 2001 Workshop on "Objects, <XML> and Databases" --- ]
[ http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~akmal/oopsla01.dir/01-workshop.html ]