Re: DB Design Books

From: Bill MacLean <billmaclean_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 05:33:19 GMT

I am crazy about the book "Information Modeling and Relational Database: From Conceptual Analysis to Logical Design" by Dr. Terry Halpin. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers; ISBN: 1558606726

If you want to read a full review, check out the review I wrote at Amazon.com. Here's the short review:

This book is in a class by itself. No other book (that I know of) deals as well with how to turn business requirements into a good database schema. Halpin presents a method called Object Role Modeling (ORM) that steps you through the process from gathering requirements to creating a full logical model. Many books focus on the logical (e.g. normalization, etc) without showing how to properly analyze the business needs. This book is awesome.

I have used ORM for a long time now, and it really works.

Thanks,

Bill