Re: Clean Object Class Design -- What is it?

From: Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 14:24:38 +0200

Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> Is the linear search time an inherent limitation of the approach,
> or just of a particular implementation?

It is the lack of member indices for the time being. This has nothing to do with OO vs. relational.

> Do you expect to handle large
> databases in the reasonably near future?

Thanks for your interest. There is a lot more work to be done in that direction. Member indices would be one first step towards constant query performance.

Intelligent RAM to file index swapping and possible load-balancing over multiple machines will be much more difficult to implement. Judging from user reports, this seems to be where most object databases are comparatively immature. Once indices to not fit into RAM they go down.

Yes, we want to continue development in that direction but give us at least another year.

Kind regards,
Carl

---
Carl Rosenberger