Re: Perfomance & large database

From: Carlos Bromanski <cbroman_at_shpamcore.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 21:48:25 -0500

David,
I was just thinking "why reinvent the wheel" as I was opening your response. Just how large is your database?
When you say "lower cost", does that mean just the financial cost? You can get an excellent publicly-licensed (free) DBMS and set up an optimal solution. Optimal as in the best combination of efficiency, performance, low repetitive stress, low financial cost, short development time, and long leisurely hours away from the keyboard.
Reinventing the wheel is just painful and unrealistic. - cb

David Quere <quered_at_esiee.fr> wrote in message news:3AE69D76.9096D1C2_at_esiee.fr...

> Of course it could seems I'm going to reinvent the wheel ... all the more
 that,
> I did not mentionned I will obviously have to update datas (but their
 length is
> fixed) and had/delete entries (but this case should not happen very often
 (very
> relative expression I know)). I don't think this should be a problem since
> red-black trees algorithms are in o(log(n)).
> The only problem that might occur deals with disk access management.
 There, I