Re: Perfomance & large database

From: James Chapman <JC121123_at_nospam.ncr.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 19:03:18 -0700

<quered_at_esiee.fr> wrote in message news:3AE05841.26FF56E6_at_esiee.fr...
> Hi,
>
> I have to build a 'high' performance database konwing that the requests
> will always be of the same type : find an address given an ID. This is
> the ONLY resquest performed but on a very large database.
> Since I'm working under linux, I've thought of creating my own structure
> to store the data, such as using a full disk and accessing only a part
> of it from an address found in a hash table. Since the disk can be seen
> as a file, it should work well (?).
> The problem is that I fear this system might not be as performant as a
> standard database system (well optimised) . . .
>
> Can someone advice me about which database would be the best to answer
> always the same kind of very simple request ???
> Is the system I've thought of not too optimistic ???

The data set is completely static? There are never any changes, insertions, or
deletions? Amazing.

Speed of access (for simple queries) is not sufficient reason to prefer a standard
dbms. Indeed, a customized solution can probably be made to outperform a dbms. However, if you need scalabilility, transaction support, recoverability, or
access control, then a dbms is probably a better solution than having to re-invent
all those capabilities yourself. Received on Sat Apr 21 2001 - 04:03:18 CEST

Original text of this message