Re: Normalized design benefits

From: Joe Trubisz <trubisz_at_cs.sunysb.edu>
Date: 11 Apr 2001 11:27:16 -0500

I cannot disagree with the comment below. 2-things here:
1. You *will* end up with a disaster if you don't normalize; 2. It makes me wonder about the skill level of the people making these comments.

Anyway, *any* book on relational databases having a chapter on normalization will explain it clearly.

If you want a simple explanation, get a copy of the paper by Kent, Communications of the ACM, Feb 1983. There's a good paper there and explains the reasons why you normalize. It's a quick read.

Joe Trubisz
Dept. of Computer Science
SUNY Stony Brook
Stony Brook, NY 11794

Charles McDonald (cmcdon12_at_nospam.ford.com) wrote: : Good luck mate. Nightmare about to happen there. :-(

: I have encountered the same type of blinkered views, even to the aspect : of cutting code without planning!!!

: Jay Canha wrote:

: >
: > Some members of our project design team have a perception that
: > normalized transactional databases take longer to
: > desing/develop/maintain than denormalized designs and, therefore,
: > normalization isn't really worth doing. This is leading to a string of
: > denormalized databases which concerns some developers familiar with the
: > benefits of a normalized design.
: >
: > Can anyone point out any some articles by respected authorities which
: > explain (in basic terms) the benefits of normalization and prove that
: > normalization actually saves time and effort.
: >
: > Thanks.