Re: Is supertyping orthadox?

From: JRStern <JRStern_at_gte.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:32:31 GMT

On 21 Mar 2001 08:56:51 GMT, hidders_at_REMOVE.THIS.win.tue.nl (Jan Hidders) wrote:
>Not agreed. Yes, it is inefficient. Yes, it makes specifying and
>maintaining database constraints very difficult if not impossible. But
>it is a nice solution if you want a very flexible schema that allows
>you to record extra properties without changing the schema.

Yes, but at that point we're not really talking about relational database technology, we're doing something else.

I can't imagine any problem in a provisioning application that couldn't be done wham-bam-thank-you-m'am with conventional data modeling and implementation.

Joshua Stern
JRStern_at_gte.net Received on Wed Mar 21 2001 - 19:32:31 CET

Original text of this message