Re: Creating unique, non-reproducible serial ID

From: JRStern <JRStern_at_gte.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 21:30:01 GMT

On Thu, 08 Mar 2001 11:51:21 -0800, David Chien <chiendh_at_uci.edu> wrote:
> If, let's say, you're trying to allow only validated users from getting access
>to a part of your program or the whole thing, then it's very difficult without
>encrypting your program - just about all serial ID protection schemes out there
>are easily bypassed (ie. simply noop around the verification code).

Sure.

>If the problem is to generate a unique serial ID only, then simply make it a very
>long , random looking string. The longer the better, and guessing the correct,
>let's say, 100 value ID is far harder even by brute force than a 10 value ID
>string.

But how do YOU know that it's a valid number? Keep a table -- a pad. I meant to include that in my message yesterday, and must have been editing it today when you fired off your here. I was talking about self-verifying codes, which I gathered is all he really wanted.

J. Received on Thu Mar 08 2001 - 22:30:01 CET

Original text of this message