Re: Rule based RDBMS design

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_REMOVE.THIS.win.tue.nl>
Date: 28 Jan 2001 12:20:01 GMT

Kresimir Fabijanic wrote:

> I would like to ask you if you have encounter a web site, book or any
> other resource that explains rule modeling and data driven
> applications in the relational databases.

Sure, there is a sea of literature on that. Just go to your favourite search engine and look for information on "deductive databases".

> I can not implement Prolog (as a language that is made for that kind
> of things). And I do not want to capture rules in code as the rules
> may change.

It would be more helpful if you would explain what you *can* do and what you *do* want. :-) Do you have to use a certain relational database or could you switch to a deductive database? Do you really want to derive information or are we just talking about elaborate database constraints here? It is hard to help you if you are not more specific about what your problem is.

> I am exploring 'The Bussines Rule Book' by Ronald G. Ross, but he is
> concentrated on rule typing and description, rather than implemetation
> in the relational database (or I have not reached those chapters yet).

I haven't read the book but I am told that he doesn't go into details such as the implementation. He presents a nice way to organize and categorize your bussiness rules (if you want to call them that way) and then ... nothing. Thats it.

--
  Jan Hidders