x*x+1=0

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 13:18:47 GMT

There's an interesting book, "Laws of Form" by G. Spencer Brown, in which he explores the
consequences of a certain 4 valued Boolean logic.

x*x + 1 = 0 can be rendered in "self referential" form as x = -1/x

The assertion, "This assertion is false" has no solution, in the domain (false, true).

But if we add a "Boolean Imaginary" as the solution to the above assertion, and its complement, we get a
very "interesting" logical system, in which paradoxes are simply ordinary assertions, with imaginary
components in the solution.

I don't have the sophistication to see all the consequences, but it looked productive to me.

--
Regards,
    David Cressey