Re: file mapping then export

From: Bernard Peek <Bernard_at_postar.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:24:11 +0000

In article <90gik6$6pr$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, Sean <sean_gallivan_at_my-deja.com> writes

>Anyway I know from past emails to this group that I should
>create an output table (now named OutPut_To_CarData) and then join the
>input table to the out put using a common field named Contract_number.
>For the transfer purpose I have out together a simple append query and
>this works fine. However two problems have emerged.
>Firstly within a field named agreement_type we have 4 sub
>categories (i.e. CS, LP, TL and XX); the output file has 10 required
>categories – I am rather unsure what I should do here.

List the 10 output categories and the values of the input data which map onto each of them.

If the output category is only dependent on the input category you have a problem. You have four possible input states so you can have a maximum of four output states. You can't create information where none exists. Either live with the fact that six of the ten categories will always be empty, or get some more information from elsewhere.

> I know what
>groupings should match (i.e. CS might go into 1,2,5 and 9) but how
>could this be done within a query. Should this be this an ‘iif in the
>append query or a look up table?
>Lastly the rules for the output table are very strict as regarding
>field lengths and type. Would it be prudent to ensure that the output
>table can only accept a certain number of characters from the input
>table through the field size property?

That might lead to data being truncated. Probably better to use validation.

This is a database theory newsgroup, it would be better to ask these questions in a newsgroup focused on MS Access.

--
Bernard Peek
Not necessarily speaking for: POSTer Audience Research -- POSTAR Ltd.