Re: B*-trees

From: Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 21:43:26 +0100

Christoph Rupp wrote:
> thanks for your reply and thanks for the email address and the links. I
 had a
> look at your web page and the "query by example"-interface. It's
 interesting,
> but i guess if you have a non-objectoriented database it's better to
 implement
> some kind of SQL-like script language or some other query language... for
 my
> purpose a very simple query language is sufficient.

What would you need a "non-objectoriented" database for? Are you programming in C, VB or a similar "non-objectoriented" language?

> > Depending on the structure of your data, reading from one file could
 also be
> > faster, if one read operation gets more than one index table.
>
> Sure, the head of the harddrive doesn't have to move that far... now it's
 clear
> to me.

You can never be sure, what the head does. Typically repositioning the file cursor takes more time than reading a multiple amount of data.

> I want my database to be a storage system which is neither object oriented
 nor
> relational. It just should offer tables with primary and secondary
 indices. So
> you could say it's pretty close to a relational database (just without
 primary
> and secondary keys and all the features and constraints that come with
 them). I
> think sometimes it would be useful if you (as a programmer) could just
 link a
> static library to your application and voila, you have database
 functionality.
> And you don't have to install another database runtime or ODBC-Driver or
> whatever...

Reinventing wheels is lots of fun while you are young.

The new wheels of a good programmer:

1.) parser
2.) text editor
3.) database
4.) compiler
5.) language

I skipped step 2. ;-)

Try to get together with people that help you to find something unique for your wheels.
Some people end up with a Ferrari as a side product.

Regards,
Carl

---
Carl Rosenberger