Re: B*-trees

From: Christoph Rupp <chrrupp_at_rz.fh-augsburg.de>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:20:24 +0100

Hi Carl,

Carl Rosenberger wrote:

> What would you need a "non-objectoriented" database for?
> Are you programming in C, VB or a similar "non-objectoriented" language?

I am programming in C and C++. I like objectoriented programming and i usually use C++. But i must admit that i am not familiar with oodb at all. It's a matter of taste, but i like relational databases and i think i could have a lot of use for such a database in many of my programs. That's my motivation (apart of the fun :) )

> > > Depending on the structure of your data, reading from one file could
 also be
> > > faster, if one read operation gets more than one index table.
> >
> > Sure, the head of the harddrive doesn't have to move that far... now it's
 clear
> > to me.
>
> You can never be sure, what the head does.
> Typically repositioning the file cursor takes more time than reading a
> multiple amount of data.

Yesyes, that's what i meant. Therefore one file should be faster then several files. Thinking about many fragmented files on my hard drive :)

> Reinventing wheels is lots of fun while you are young.

I AM young. :) (well - everything is relative...)

Chris Received on Thu Jan 11 2001 - 22:20:24 CET

Original text of this message