Duplicating tables in a distributed database

From: Leon Booyens <mwleonbo_at_mweb.co.za>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:50:17 +0200

I have a distributed database (100+) physical databases linked over a "low speed WAN". One of the problems we have is that for a specific type of transaction we will require the data to be live a specific database (linked to a specific entity), and in another transaction we would like the data to be live in another database (related to another entity). The reason for the locality of the data being an issue is a performance issue running a transaction accross different databases. One of the solution we have is to keep two sets of the data, each in its own table (with its own name) close to the related entity. The inserts to the tables are relativly cheap (non-complex) and the transactions that use the data are optimum as they use data localy (from the same database). The only issue we have with this is that we are
keeping two sets of the same not, something I suppose you shouldn't do in a relational database.

My question is if this is done (as normal practice in a distributed db), or is there maybe another way to solve this problem.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks
Leon Received on Wed Jan 10 2001 - 18:50:17 CET

Original text of this message