Re: Identity key?

From: DODO <dodo_at_Ihatespam.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 14:45:37 -0500

> A surrogate key is created by the database system for its own use and
> it is never exposed to the user. Artifical keys are created by the
> users and they are exposed. These two terms get confused. I don't

Then in the example
CREATE TABLE US_States
(state_id IDENTITY,
state_code CHAR(2) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,  state_name VARCHAR(15) NOT NULL UNIQUE);

state_id would be an artificial key? And you think that is useless? What happens if the state_code is changed by the standard comitee?

> What you want is a natural key, if one exists and is easy to record.

What is a natural key?

TIA,
DODO Received on Mon Jan 08 2001 - 20:45:37 CET

Original text of this message