Re: Find optimal way (I need a guidelight)

From: Lewis Bruck <lbruck_at_nwlink.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 00:16:01 -0800

I like the following books as introductions to database "guru"-dom.

Patrick O'Neil "Database: Principles, Programming, Performance" Chris Date "Introduction to Database Systems" Joe Celko "SQL for Smarties"

I'd pick up a book on entity-relationship modelling. I can't recall a title of one.

These will give you a good coverage of general database principles. You then
need to learn particular systems (SQL Server, Access, Oracle, Sybase, MySql, etc).

I have a particular SQL Server bias and expertise so I'd recommend:

Kalen Delaney and Ron Soukop "Inside SQL Server"

There are good books for just about all platforms.

If you are interested in database internals, I can give a list of my favorites in that
area, too.

Lewis Bruck