Re: Normalising a two-to-one relationship

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 16:36:44 GMT

Yes, you are right, some do hold that.

I would phrase it somewhat differently. IMO:

Discovering the functional dependencies that are part of the business rules is part of analysis. Very frequently, the best way to discover these dependencies is to start with a proposed or existing schema, and ask questions about how normalized it is.

With this phrasing, normalization is still a feature of the data as designed, rather than of the real world that is being modeled.

But the difference is largely philosophical, not fundamental.