table : row : column = entity : occurrence : ?

From: TC <x_at_x.x>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 16:10:45 -0800

I have a question about the terminology used in database design.

Suppose I have a table that stores flower data. One of the records represents the lily and one of the fields holds habitat info. If I am not mistaken, "flower" is an entity and "lily" is an occurrence of that entity, where "entity" and "occurrence" are specific technical terms in the database world. What, then, is "habitat"? I can think of several words that might apply ("property", "attribute", etc.), but if there is an established term I would like to know it.

Can anyone recommend a book that discusses database design theory at this level?

-TC
(cross-posted in comp.databases) Received on Sun Dec 17 2000 - 01:10:45 CET

Original text of this message