Re: Structuring attributed data-fields

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_REMOVE.THIS.win.tue.nl>
Date: 14 Dec 2000 02:05:31 GMT

Angus Monro wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm working on the database design behind a system that renders the data
> across many display types and formats and audiences. In an airport,
> actually.
>
> What we have is a table of flight-related info. [...]
>
> I'd like to know what people think about this. I'd like to know, too,
> if there are any other approaches that we've missed - maybe even we're
> misusing the database? Not sure!

I get the impression that you are doing things backwards. You are talking about all kinds of implmentation details, but it is not really clear to me that you have pinned down exactly what the data is. So, do you have a description of the data in something like an ER-model or ORM or UML or whatever? I say this because if you don't know what your data looks like, then it is very hard to decide what the best way is to store it.

--
  Jan Hidders