CFP Distributed Objects and Applications DOA'2001

From: David Taniar <taniar_at_cs.rmit.edu.au>
Date: 16 Nov 2000 19:20:37 +1100

                              C A L L   F O R   P A P E R S
                              =============================
___   __   __     __
 | | |  | |  | / |  ||       Third International Symposium on
 | | |  | |--|   |  ||     DISTRIBUTED OBJECTS AND APPLICATIONS
_|_| |__| |  |   |__||      Rome, Italy, September 18-20, 2001

                         http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/conf/doa/2001/

                      Proceedings to be published by IEEE Press

Are you building applications using distributed object computing (DOC)? Are you doing research in fundamental technology, methodology or new   tools for DOC?
Are you using some of the existing distributed object systems?

Consider contributing a practice report or a research paper to this innovative event, and to present, discuss and obtain feedback for your ideas among other practitioners and researchers active in the same area.

There is increasing agreement among IT researchers and practitioners about the importance and potential of distributed object systems and the advances in this area made in recent years. These systems offer many promises for use in various applications, including telecommunications, banking applications and many other domains. DOC systems are starting to offer practical, real-life production solutions to technical problems, including interoperability across different software and database platforms. Distributed object systems are built according to different paradigms and architectures, such as OMG's CORBA, Microsoft's COM and other object request broker principles and implementations, and contingent technologies such as SUN's Java-based active objects, to provide a basis for building complex distributed applications.

The future success of DOC systems will not only be dependent on how the basic requirements (to develop open, reliable and scalable distributed and heterogeneous applications and platforms) are met but also how the underlying distributed object technology can be integrated with existing complementary technologies and applications, such as WWW, multimedia and databases. The reengineering of legacy systems may substantially benefit from the use of DOC, e.g. when turning them into data warehouses. Further standardization of distributed object concepts will very likely unlock many new areas of application still.

TWO DIMENSIONS: Research & Practice

As research in DOC establishes new principles, enhancing our understanding of the fundamental issues involved, and opening the way to new tools and methodologies for DOC, so conversely practical experience in real-life DOC projects drives the avenues of this same research by exposing new ideas and posing new types of problems to be solved. With the DOA Symposium we explicitly intend to provide a forum to help this mutual interaction occur, and to trigger and foster it. Submissions can be entered along both these dimensions: research (theory, fundamentals, principles of DOC) and practice (applications, experience, pragmatics of DOC). Contributions attempting to cross over the gap between these two dimensions will, of course, be especially welcome.

As we are fully aware of the differences in environment for research and development that exist in academia and industry, submissions from each will be treated accordingly and judged by a peer review not only for scientific rigor (in the case of "academic research" papers) but for originality and generality of application (in the case of "case studies" papers). Papers of each type will be presented in parallel tracks at the Symposium, but with maximal opportunity for interaction for researchers and developers working on related topics.

To summarize, during the DOA'2000 Symposium we therefore want attendees to be able to evaluate existing ORB middleware products; to analyze, and propose solutions to major limitations of existing products; and to indicate promising future research directions for distributed objects. We are particularly interested in the evaluation of existing DOC systems and how they are used to design and to implement large scale industrial distributed applications. We are seeking theoretical as well as practical papers addressing innovative issues related to distributed objects.

TOPICS OF INTEREST The topics of this symposium include, but are not limited to:

   o Critique of the distributed object paradigm    o Distributed business objects
   o Distributed and mobile agents
   o Design patterns for distributed object design    o Database services, in particular persistency, transaction, query      and replication services
   o Integration of distributed object and Web technologies    o Intelligent traders
   o Interoperability-supporting environments    o Integration with database systems and interfaces    o Methodologies to develop distributed object applications    o Reintegration of legacy systems in DOC environments    o Design of CORBA, COM- and Java-based broker applications    o Multimedia distributed objects
   o Multicast protocols for distributed objects    o Object caching
   o Reliability, fault-tolerance and recovery    o Real-time ORB middleware
   o Reports on Best Practice
   o Security
   o Specification and enforcement of quality of service    o Standardization of distributed objects    o Wrapper libraries and wrapper implementation strategies

IMPORTANT DATES

    Electronic submission:	      April 1st, 2001
    Notification of acceptance:	      May 20th, 2001
    Camera-ready copies:	      June  10th, 2001
    Symposium:			      Sept. 18-20, 2001

SUBMISSION DETAILS All submitted papers will be carefully evaluated based on originality, significance, technical soundness, and clarity of expression. Submissions should be clearly labeled "Research", "Practice" or "PC discretion". All papers will be refereed by at least three members of the program committee, and at least two will be experts from industry in the case of practice reports. All submissions must be in English. Research submissions must not exceed 8,000 words. Practice reports must not exceed 5,000 words. Submissions can either be in Postscript or HTML format and should be sent to doa2001_at_cs.rmit.edu.au. All submissions must be accompanied by a separate email message with the following information on the paper:

               title
               author(s)
               affiliation(s)
               e-mail and address of the contact author
               optional list of (key)words to appear in the index
               classification as research, practice or at
               discretion of PC formal commitment, if paper is
               accepted, to register for DOA'2000 and present the paper

Please make sure that your PostScript file can be previewed with GhostScript and is printable on a standard PostScript printer. We also accept Microsoft Word submissions. If electronic submission is not possible, please send an e-mail to

             doa2001_at_cs.rmit.edu.au

to make special arrangements, at least two weeks before the submission deadline. The final proceedings will be published by IEEE Press. Failure to commit presentation at the conference automatically excludes a paper from the proceedings.

ORGANIZATION COMMITTEE GENERAL CO-CHAIRS

      Robert Meersman		     Zahir Tari
      Free University of Brussels    RMIT University
      Belgium			     Australia

PROGRAM COMMITTEE CO-CHAIRS

      Gordon Blair             Douglas Schmidt       Makoto Takizawa
      Lancaster University     UC at Irvine          Tokyo Denki University
      UK		       US		     Japan

TUTORIAL CHAIR

     Roberto Baldoni
     Universita di Roma "La Sapienza"
     Italy

PUBLICITY CHAIR

     David Taniar
     RMIT University
     Australia

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

      Sean Baker                (IONA, Ireland)
      David E. Bakken           (Washington State Univ., USA)
      Jose Blakeley             (Microsoft, USA)
      Anthony Bloesch           (Visio Corp., USA)
      Omar Boucelma             (Universite de Province, France)
      Omran Bukhres             (Purdue Univ., USA)
      Akmal B. Chaudhri         (Informix Software, UK)
      Cregory Craske            (RMIT Univ., Australia)
      Asuman Dogac              (Middle East Technical Univ., Turkey)
      Pamela Drew               (Boeing, USA)
      Chris Gokey               (NASA, USA)
      Rachid Guerraoui          (EPFL, Switzerland)
      Arno Jacobsen             (Univ. of Toronto, Canada)
      Roger King                (Univ. of Colorado, USA)
      Sacha Krakowiak           (Univ. of Grenoble, France)
      Bernd  Kramer             (FernUniversitat Hagen, Germany)
      Doug Lea                  (State Univ. of New York, USA)
      Hong Va Leong             (Hong Kong Polytechnic Univ., China)
      Frank Manola              (The MITRE Corporation, USA)
      Jishnu Mukerji            (HP New Jersey Labs, USA)
      Mike P. Papazoglou        (Tilburg Univ., The Netherlands)
      Kerry Raymond             (DSTC, Australia)
      Richard Soley             (OMG, USA)
      Rick Schantz              (BBN Technologies, USA)
      Marc H. Scholl            (Universitat Konstanz, Germany)
      Jean-Bernard  Stefani     (France Telecom, France)
      Katsuya Tanaka            (Tokyo Denki Univ., Japan)
      David Taniar              (RMIT Univ., Australia)
      Hakki Toroslu             (Middle East Technical Univ., Turkey)
      Yu-Chee Tseng             (National Central Univ., Taiwan)
      Nalini Venkatasubramanian (Univ. of California at Irvine, USA)
      Wilfried Verachtert       (MediaGenix, Belgium)
      Shalini Yajnik            (Bell Labs, USA)
      Andrew Watson             (OMG, USA)
      Albert Zamoya             (Univ. of Western Australia, Australia)
      George Mon Zhijing        (Boeing, USA)
      Roberto Zicari            (Univ. of Frankfurt, Germany)